Alright, I am finally back in the swing of things. It has been a crazy April thus far and needless to say I have been delinquent with my blog writing. This past weekend my husband and I went on a wonderful getaway to the stormy West Coast of Vancouver Island. Hiking in the pouring rain with our pup sure worked up an appetite. On our final evening in our beautiful hotel set a top a cliff overlooking the stormy waters below, we had an outstanding dinner! That dinner was the inspiration for this post and last night’s dinner. The chef prepared a massive bowl of fresh mussels served up in a bacon, white wine and garlic cream sauce which is what I tried to re-create. So below is my version of this meal, granted the professional chef at the 5 star restaurant did a far better job but if I do say so myself these mussels were pretty outstanding! Next time I will use more bacon because you can never have enough of that 🙂
Hope you enjoy this simple, rich and quick to make dinner.
- 1 Kg Fresh Mussels (scrubbed and de-bearded) *when buying them make sure they are closed, this means they are fresh*
- 3 Large Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Small Shallot (minced)
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 4 – 6 Strips of Smoked Bacon
- 1 Cup Dry White Wine
- 3/4 Cup Cream
- 1 1/2 Tbsps Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tbsp White Pepper
- 1 Handful of Chives (finely chopped)
- 1 Handful of Italian Parsley (finely chopped)
- Seasoning Salt to taste
- In a Large non-stick pot cook your bacon until it is crispy. Set it aside on some paper towel.
- Turn heat down to medium and put in your shallots and garlic and saute them in the bacon grease (approx. 1 minute)
- De-glaze the pot with your wine. Cook until the alcohol evaporates (approx. 8 minutes)
- Add in your Thyme and seasonings.
- Pour in your cream and bring to a boil and let the tastes combine for about 5 minutes.
- Place the mussels in the pot and cook them covered until they open (approx 5 minutes)
- Stir the mussels in the sauce for a few more minutes to let them take on the cream sauce flavor.
- Finely chop up your crispy bacon.
- Toss in the bacon bits, chives and parsley and stir.
- Place everything into a deep bowl and serve immediately.