Not entirely sure where April went but since it is now May and Cinco de Mayo is approaching I figured my first post should be a dish with some Mexican flare. While the holiday is primarily celebrated in the United States and Mexico, over the years there have been more celebrations being held here in Canada as well. I have several friends that celebrate the holiday and offer up amazing traditional meals for family and friends to enjoy. I myself being a huge fan of Mexican Cuisine could not be happier to celebrate as well. For those of you who do not know what Cinco de Mayo is, it is celebrated yearly on May 5th and is meant to “commemorate the cause of freedom of Mexican-American communities during the first few years of the American Civil War”
Now I know that what we consider “Mexican” food is not entirely serving the country’s cuisine justice. The food we have come to know and love has for the most part been westernized to appeal to the masses. This is the case with just about any ethnic food we enjoy today. If you were to go to China, Greece, Italy, India or basically any where else in the world, the food you would enjoy there if you were willing to try that countries REAL cuisine would most likely surprise you. That being said, here is my take on Mexican wraps, a very simple and quick dinner option when you want something full of flavor and won’t take you hours to prep. There are endless ways to alter this dish too, you can choose not to have cheese or guacamole, use different wraps and even add in different things to the filling. Have fun with it.
Ingredients for Filling:
- 3 Chicken Breasts (cubed & seasoned with garlic powder)
- 4 Tbsp Diced White Onion
- 4 Diced Roasted Red Peppers
- 2 Large Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1/2 Red Cabbage (chopped thin)
- Juice from 1 Lime
- 4 Tbsp Taco Sauce (I used medium)
- 2 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp Cayenne
- 2 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Handful of Chopped Parsley
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- In a large pan heat up oil and throw in your onions. Saute until they are golden and toss in your chicken. Cook until you do not see pink (approx 5 mins) stirring frequently.
- While the chicken cooks put your taco sauce in a measuring cup and add 1/4 cup of water. Add in the lime juice and all the spices. Mix everything together.
- Mix it all together and add your peppers. Cook for about 5 minutes to allow everything to mix together.
- Throw in the cabbage and parsley and cook for about 1 – 2 more minutes to allow it to soften.
Ingredients for Guacamole:
- 1 1/2 Ripe Avocados
- 1 Garlic Clove (minced)
- Juice from 1/2 Lime
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Mush your avocado with a fork then add in the rest. Mix until smooth.
Serving your Wraps:
- On a whole wheat wrap or corn tortilla spread some guacamole.
- Shred some Monterrey Jack cheese on *optional
- Spread your chicken and veggie mix
- Wrap and enjoy 🙂