So the inspiration for these bad boys came from several places. Initially we were in BC wine country over the summer and had an amazing lunch at Burrowing Owl. There we ordered a charcuterie platter and one of the fixing they had on the side were pickled red onions that they made on site. Amazing. A few weeks later we were in Vancouver and decided to stop off at a taco joint which several of my husband’s co-workers rave about. As a side and added fixing you could put on your taco was nothing other than pickled red onions. Being the person that I am and a grandchild to an amazing pickler of everything and anything you can think of, I decided I would try my hand at pickling! Thanks granny! All those early years spent watching you fill the basement with mason jars packed with veggies, fruits, jams and so on paid off! This was my very first attempt at pickling and I am proud to say they are delicious and jam packed with wonderful flavors! Try them on anything from tacos and Mexican inspired meals to pulled pork and sandwiches 🙂
- 1 1/2 Cups Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Sugar (use coconut sugar for paleo)
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Chili Flakes
- 1/2 Tsp Cracked Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Cup Boiled Water
- Juice from 1 Lime
- 1 Large Red Onion
* This recipe makes 2 full 500ml mason jars
- Clean and sanitize your mason jars. (I simply placed them in a large pot with water and boiled them for 10 minutes)
- Cut up your onion into strips and place into a strainer. Pour the 1 cup of hot boiled water over the onions and let them sit for a minute to soften them.
- In a small sauce pot combine the rest of the ingredients and bring them to a boil.
- Strain the onions then stuff them into the mason jars.
- Once the vinegar mix is boiling, pour it into the jars and fill to the top to cover the onions.
- Seal the jars and let them stand. Once they have cooled place them in the fridge and store for up to 2 weeks.
- The onions will be ready to at after 24 hours in the fridge.