A week ago we decided to go out for a dinner and a new item on the menu caught our eye. They were spicy green beans and they were delicious! Ever since then I have wanted to try my hand at making these. Last night as we were leaving from the vet, my father-in-law drove past us and my husband quickly gave him a call to let him know he was spotted. Earlier that morning I had put in a ridiculous amount of pork into the slow cooker so I figured why not invite him over for dinner. However, all we had at home was just that, pork. Now I also had some of my recently pickled onions but my father-in-law flat out refuses to eat onions so those were off the table for him. (The recipe for those amazing things will be posted soon along with the pork) Alright back to the beans. I had recently picked up some lovely looking green beans at the market for the purpose of attempting to recreate the spicy beans from the dinner. So last night was the night I gave it a shot, I have to say for something so easy and quick, they were delicious! If my father-in-law hadn’t shown up soon after I made them I think me and my husband would have easily polished them off as an appetizer.
- 1 Pack of Green Beans
- 2 Small Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Ginger (grated)
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 ½ Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 ½ Tbsp Chili Flakes
- 1 ½ Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- Fresh Pepper to taste
- Rinse your green beans and cut off the tips a bit for freshness. Set aside.
- Mix all the other ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat up your wok and pour a little bit of water mixed with some olive oil into the bottom.
- Once the water is bubbling, throw in your beans and sauté them until they are bright and starting to get a bit golden (approx. 5 minutes)
- Pour in your sauce and cover the beans. Saute them for about a minute more.
- Remove and serve right away.
I have been a bit under the weather lately as you can tell from my last post. With that said, I have been looking for quick meals with a lot of taste. And for some reason I have been craving spicy and tangy food the last two days. So after I finally dragged myself to the kitchen wrapped in a blanket the other evening I was looking for anything I could manage to make in under 30 minutes. This is what was scrounged up, basically my take on chili chicken. While dousing chicken in a chili sauce would have been much easier I made the sauce from scratch and it only took 5 minutes. Within 30 minutes I was back to be being curled up on the couch.
You will need 4 Boneless and Skinless Chicken breasts cubed and seasoned with some paprika.
For the Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Minced Ginger
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 3 1/2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- Juice from 1 Lime
- 1 Minced Garlic Clove
- 1 Tbsp Chili Flakes
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
For the Garnish:
- 2 Green Onions (finely chopped)
- 1 Handful of Fresh Cilantro (finely chopped)
- Sesame Seeds
1) Combine the above in a bowl.
2) In a large pan or wok heat up your Olive oil with about a tablespoon of water. Toss in your cubes of chicken and cook until they are no longer pink.
3) Add in the sauce and cook until it is no longer watery. (approx. 5 mins) Let the chicken brown a bit in the sauce then toss in the garnish mix.
Combine it all and serve with your choice of side. I myself did fresh cubes of cucumber.