Introducing our new favorite Paleo Side Dish! This was a totally random dish that I made the other night to go with our left over Risotto. Let me tell you…they were wonderful! My husband had to restrain himself from eating all of them in order to have a few left over for his lunch. They were very simple and easy to make and can go with so many different meals due to their gentle flavors. These wonderful and highly nutritious beets will definitely be making a regular appearance as a side dish during dinner time.
- 5 – 6 Medium Golden Beets (trimmed & peeled)
- 3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2 Tbsp Honey (use organic if possible)
- 4 Cups Water
- Slice your beets into 1/4 ” slices.
- Place beets flat into a large and deep skillet. (mine fit in 2 layers)
- Sprinkle in the thyme leaves and drizzle in the honey.
- Add the water over the beets to make sure they are all submerged.
- Place a lid on the skillet and begin cooking. Once the water starts to boil, lower the heat to medium/high.
- Cook the beets partially covered for 25 – 30 minutes. Check and stir them gently occasionally. Once they have softened they are ready.
- Remove from the heat and let them sit in the juice for a few minutes.
* This amount of time will still leave the beets sightly hard and crunchy, if you prefer them softer simply cook a bit longer.
Serve and Enjoy