Looking for a quick and easy dinner option? Look no further. From start to finish this meal takes under an hour to make! It is served with a light yet creamy white wine sauce with a hint of lemon.
- 375g Pasta of your choice (I used 1 pack of linguine)
- 20- 30 Raw Prawns (peeled & de-veined)
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Medium Shallot
- 1 Medium Zucchini
- 1 Green Pepper
- 5 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
- Juice from 2 ½ Lemons
- ¾ Cup Water
- ¾ Cup Dry White Wine
- ½ Cup Whipping Cream
- ½ Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Seasoning Salt
- ½ Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp White Pepper
- ½ Tsp Oregano
- ½ Tsp Italian Seasoning
- Fresh Chives and Parsley to garnish
- Fresh Parmesan for Garnish
- Peel your prawns, if you did not purchase de-veined ones you will need to do so now.
- Cook your pasta according to instructions on box, depending on the type of pasta you choose the cooking time varies. TIP: Once your pasta is cooked, strain and run under cold water to prevent it from sticking together. Set aside.
- Dice your shallot, zucchini and pepper and set aside each one separately.
- In a large skillet, melt your butter on high heat and add the shallot. Lightly brown the shallot then add your green peppers. Let them cook approx. 3 minutes until they are getting softer.
- Add your water and zucchini and mix. Cook for approx 4 minutes until zucchini is starting to get soft.
- Add your garlic, paprika, seasoning salt, black pepper, white pepper, oregano & Italian seasoning. Mix everything together and cook for another minute or 2.
- Add your lemon juice and mix.
- Add the prawns and mix. Let them cook for about 2 minutes or until they turn pink.
- Add your wine and mix. Cook everything with a cover on for about 5 minutes to allow the wine to evaporate a bit.
- Add in the cream and mix. Lower heat to low and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add your pasta and combine everything.
- Once everything is combined serve and garnish with chives, parsley & Parmesan.
As promised here is my Paella recipe. This dish has it’s origins in Spain, more accurately, Valencia, located on the east coast of Spain. Paella also happens to be one of my father’s favorite dishes. I have vague recollections of this dish from my time in Spain but whenever my father reminisces about living in Spain, somehow Paella always manages to get mentioned. There are many different ways to go about making this dish. You can go the all seafood route, a meat and vegetable route, or the one I took which is a mix of all the above. So there you have my inspiration for last nights amazing meal, a walk down memory lane which started off with me trying to figure out what to do with the boring looking chicken breasts I had defrosting in the fridge. I hope I did this fantastic dish justice. This recipe does take a bit more time than most of my other recipes, you will need approximately 2 hours but it is worth it for how much leftover food you have so do not be scared of all the ingredients and steps below 🙂
Helpful Tip: I put all the dry seasoning & spices in a small bowl so I could simply pour them in together and not have to fiddle around with various containers while cooking.
- 10 – 15 Raw Prawns (peeled)
- 3 Chicken Breasts (cubed)
- 2 Medium Chorizo (sliced) – I took mine out of the casing first
- ½ White Onion (chopped)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (chopped)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 ½ Red Peppers (chopped)
- 4 Medium Carrots (sliced)
- 1 (796ml) Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Pinch Saffron
- 2 Cups Arborio Rice
- 4 Cups Boiling Water
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube
- 2 ½ Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ½ Tsp Turmeric
- ½ Tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Cups Frozen Peas
- ½ Cup Italian Parsley (chopped)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Lime Wedges for Seasoning at the end
- In a large deep skillet or paella pan, melt the butter with the olive oil, toss in the onion and fry on high until it is slightly golden.
- Add in the garlic, carrots and red peppers then saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the chicken breast and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until you can’t see any pink on the chicken.
- Pour in the entire can of tomatoes followed by the chorizo and stir until combined.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add in the paprika, chicken cube (crumbled), garlic powder, turmeric, cayenne and saffron stirring constantly to combine it all.
- Pour in the rice. Cook for about 5 minutes to allow the rice to be coated in all the sauce. Stir constantly.
- Add in 3 cups of the boiling water slowly and stir carefully to combine everything.
- Cover the pan and cook on low – medium for 20 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add in the leftover 1 cup of water slowly and combine.
- Cook for another 20 – 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- The rice will get plump and slowly start to stick a bit to the bottom of the pan. This is totally fine and adds a great flavor to the dish, just don’t let it burn completely and stir every so often.
- Once most of the liquid has evaporated, toss in your raw prawns and place the cover back on to allow the prawns to cook. (approx. 5 mins)
- Once the prawns are pink, toss in your parsley and frozen peas. Stir to combine evenly.
- Once the peas are defrosted and hot your dish is ready. Add Salt & Pepper to taste.
I served mine up with some fresh lime wedges to squeeze on the dish at the table. It adds a great little burst of flavor. 🙂 Enjoy.
Here is another simple and quick BBQ recipe for some yummy prawns this time.
I have been making these for years and they always go quick at the table.
I had approximately 100 peeled and deveined prawns
For the Marinade:
- 2 Tbsp Melted Butter (i used unsalted)
- 2 Minced Garlic Cloves
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Juice from 1/2 a Lemon
- 5 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- Handful minced Italian Parsley
- 1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tsp Fresh Cracked Pepper
- 2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- If you are using wood skewers soak them in some water for about 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse your prawns keeping the tails on.
- Skewer your prawns onto the skewers.
- Mix the above in a bowl. Using a brush coat both sides of the prawns in the marinade. I let mine sit for 20 mins.
- Start up the BBQ and once it is hot place your skewers on.
- These guys cook fast so don’t leave them unattended. You will need about 1 – 2 minutes per side.
- Serve immediately.